Visitors’ impressions of a home are often dictated by the home’s entryway. Must as one may judge a book by its cover, the same can be said about the impression that a front door and entryway can create, regardless of how accurate that impression is.
Making certain changes to an entryway can go a long way toward improving curb appeal. Entryways also can set the scene for a home’s interior. Whether one chooses to be classic or bold, modern or traditional, there are various ways to quickly transform a home’s entryway.
- Bold front door colour: Colour can dramatically enhance an entryway. Painting an existing door or replacing it with a more vivid option can do the trick. The DIY Network says certain colours stand out as favourites. These include turquoise, yellow, red, indigo, orange, and black. The door colour should complement the other shades of the home, such as those on siding and trim.
- Custom walkway: Guide guests right to the front door with an attractive (and safe) walkway. Stamped concrete or decorative paver blocks may fit the bill. This walkway can extend to the street or to the driveway.
- Container plants. Landscaping around the entryway should be neat and well-tended. Overgrown plants or shrubbery may give off an air of neglect. Container plants and carefully curated shrubs can create a neat and inviting aura.
- Highlight the address. Make sure the home can be found easily with bold and decorative house numbers. Consider two different address signs: one illuminated and easily viewed from the curb, and another closer to the front door.
- Utilize high-end materials. The relatively small area of real estate by the front door enables homeowners to splurge on more opulent materials that can really add a feeling of luxury. These can include colourful tiles, ornate planters, decorative wooden doors, or elaborate knobs and lighting fixtures.
- Add architectural details. Find out which architectural elements will meld with the style of the home and then incorporate them. Mouldings, columns, shutters, and trim are areas to consider.
The entryway to a home garners a lot of attention. Homeowners can enhance their spaces with entryways that really make a statement.