In draw 18 at the world men’s curling championship, skip Kevin Koe and Team Canada dumped Switzerland 10-3 in six ends. In short: Koe was in De Cruz control.
• Canadian tennis star Briana Andreescu threw the opening pitch at a Toronto-Baltimore game — a perfect strike. The Jays gave her the ball, a commemorative photo and a contract offer.
• I grew up with four sisters who would watch horror movies with hands over eyes, scarcely daring to peek between trembling fingers. These days, that’s how I watch the Winnipeg Jets.
•Johnny Manziel and Bre Tiesi have split after just one year of marriage. You know what they say: a fool and his honey are soon parted.
•Angelique Kerber called rising Canadian tennis star Bianca Andreescu the “biggest drama queen ever.” In a related story, Brett Favre announced he is coming out of retirement.
• How about the Alliance of American Football folding just eight weeks into its inaugural season? Just like that, they went from an alternative to an AAFterthought.
• Russel Westbrook of the Thunder
gets my vote for MVP — Most Volatile Player.
• What’s with Washington folks in Nationals jerseys cheering ex-Nat Bryce Harper when he hit a homer against their own team? Sycophants. … Make that sycofans.
• Reuters reports inmates in a British prison have been receiving marijuana thrown over prison walls — sewn inside dead rats. One question: which end do they light?
• The US national women’s soccer team needed a late insurance goal to hold off Australia 5-3. This is one time the Aussies didn’t come from down under.
• What next for Johnny Manziel: washed out in the NFL, banned by the CFL, and now his new AAF league has folded. Johnny Nerfball?
• The NBA’s Wizards fired team president Ernie Grunfeld. One Washington president down; one to go.
• Unbeaten British heavyweight Kash Ali got DQ-ed in the fifth round against David Price after biting Price’s stomach. Too bad really, because Ali was just getting his teeth into the match.
• If the RCMP are to be believed, I misunderstood the intent of last Monday’s “World Backup Day.” I shouldn’t have driven to the mall in reverse.
RJ’s Punalty Box
Virologists claim germ-infested handles on shopping buggies cause respiratory illnesses such as colds, flus and bronchitis. Before long, you have the cart before the hoarse.